- Nitrogen - important in fuelling growth and providing high yields, it ensures optimal photosynthate production in the leaves
- Phosphate - foliar phosphate, applied just before tuber initiation increases total tuber number while applied after tuber initiation increases tuber size thus increasing tuber yields
- Potassium - potato plants absorb large quantities of potassium throughout the growing season and it is critical for high yields and it has also influence on the numbers of tubers which are set
- Calcium - applications of calcium during bulking may increase tuber size
- Magnesium - is needed during tuber bulking and if supply is restricted, tuber size and yield will both be reduced
Beside proper fertilization management, there are other crop management practices for increasing potato tuber size and number;
- Planting as early as possible to extend the length of the growing season in areas where daylight hours are limited
- Planting physiologically aged potatoes that emerge quickly
- Planting at optimum soil temperatures to ensure fast crop emergence
- Use of irrigation, crop nutrition and crop protection methods to ensure maximum canopy life and unlimited tuber growth
- Desiccation at the right stage to meet market requirement
- Selecting the right variety
- Spacing seed to ensure an optimum number of stems per square meter
- Using crop protection inputs - such as herbicides and nematicides - to ensure the crop grows relatively unhindered
The goal of successful farming is to deliver enough plant nutrients to the crop to optimize yield and profitability. Make your farm production even better with Agrivi farm management system which allows farmers to track all their farm activities on fields. They can track inputs of fertilizers and their nutrients, pesticides and active substances, fuel, work hours of workers and machinery and finances. The system gives them thus an insight into profitability and productivity of their farm with Agrivi reports and powerful analytics.
Manage higher potato yield and enhance your farming with Agrivi system.