- Monitoring of environmental conditions – since development cycle of olive fruit fly depends on climatic conditions, monitoring weather conditions is key to prevent a severe attack
- Detection of olive fruit fly presence – olive fruit fly is most likely present in orchard even though the farmer may not see either the fly or the damage without careful attention. Fallen winter fruits and new fruits on the tree should be visually inspected for oviposition stings, maggots or tunneling and decay signs.
- Monitoring populations – adult flies can be discovered by trapping with sticky traps which indicate population intensity
- Sanitation – it’s very important to remove old fruits remaining on trees and destroy all fruits on the ground to reduce overall fly density
- Reduce black scale populations – olive fruit fly adults feed on honeydew made from black scale, so managing of black scale populations will reduce food source needed for olive fruit fly
- Kaolin clay – when applied on olive trees, it dries to a white powder that repels the olive flies, but it’s not toxic to the insects. The first application should be a week or two before pit hardening, and it should be applied every 5-6 weeks
- Other management practices – for all farm types, whether it’s conventional, integrated or organic pest management, preventive treatment with protein baits can be used, as well as repellents with copper-based products and use of parasitoids
Agrivi farm management software provides detailed weather forecasts 7 days in advance for each field, and alerts farmers if there is a possibility of pest attack on particular fields, if the conditions for infection are favorable. When the system gives a disease or insect pest alarm, it offers also the list of active substances with which farmers can treat pests and the commercial name of the product containing that active substance. Beside pest alarms, farmers can also track all field activities in the Agrivi system. Through tasks, they can register all spent materials and work hours on crop production, such as usage of pesticides.
Reduce the number of olive farm visits and stop guessing what the weather will be like. Use Agrivi farm management system and ensure you are ready for a healthy harvest!